A man who recruited his parents and a group of his friends to kill a love rival has been jailed for life.
Daniel Grogan, 20, was “consumed with hatred and jealousy” of Jay Sewell, 18, after finding out he was seeing his ex-girlfriend, the Old Bailey heard.
Mr Sewell was attacked by a group of people in Lee, south-east London, on 11 December 2018.
Grogan was sentenced to life with a minimum term of 21 years having previously been found guilty of murder.
The court was told Grogan deliberately engineered a stand-off with Mr Sewell and his ex-girlfriend Gemma Hodder near to his family home.
Ms Hodder, 18, had driven her partner and some of their friends from Kent to see Grogan when they were set upon by a group armed with knives, hammers, a 4ft (1.2m) fireman’s axe and wooden sticks.
Mr Sewell was fatally attacked through the car window while his friend Charlie Pamphlett was stabbed in the back but survived, jurors were told.
Judge Wendy Joseph QC said Grogan “desired only revenge on Gemma and Jay” and had been driven by “self serving anger beyond logic”.
The 20-year-old was also jailed for five years for wounding with intent and three-and-a-half years for violent disorder, with the sentences to be served concurrently.
Other members of Grogan’s family and friends also received jail sentences for their parts in the killing:
- Grogan’s 58-year-old father Robert, who had armed himself with an axe, was sentenced to 14.5 years for manslaughter, six years for wounding with intent and three-and-a-half years for violent disorder
- His 55-year-old mother Ann was sentenced to seven-and-a-half years for manslaughter and three-and-a-half years for violent disorder to be served concurrently
- His friend and neighbour Charlie Dudley, 26, of Grove Park, was jailed for 16 years for manslaughter, six-and-a-half years for wounding with intent and three-and-a-half years for violent disorder, to be served concurrently
- His cousin Liam Hickey, 19, of Eltham, was sentenced to three years detention in a Young Offenders Institution for wounding with intent and two years for violent disorder, to be served concurrently
In an impact statement read in court, Mr Sewell’s mother Sharon Louch said there was “no sentence this court or any other can pass which can come close to healing the pain or make up for not being able to look at my Jay’s face or hear him laugh”.
“Jay you were a blessing and made us proud from the day you came to us until the moment you were taken,” she said.
Others were previously sentenced over the attack:
- Francesca Grogan, 30, of Sibthorpe Road, was jailed for 12 months for violent disorder
- Jamie Bennett, 32, of Sibthorpe Road, was sentenced to 20 months in prison for violent disorder
- A 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named, was handed a nine-month rehabilitation order and a supervision order for violent disorder.
A mother was stabbed three times in front of her child in an unprovoked attack in south London.
The victim, 36, was pushing her child in a buggy when a man attacked her from behind in Downton Avenue, Streatham Hill, on Monday.
The knifeman did not speak to the victim before he stabbed her at about 17:20 GMT then ran off.
Police said the woman’s injuries were not believed to be life-threatening. The child was not hurt.
Neighbours told the BBC they heard the woman screaming and came out to help.
A man first on the scene said the victim told him: “I’ve been mugged.”
Two people said the wounds looked as if they were to the victim’s face or head area.
It is understood the woman was on the phone to her husband at the time and that he arrived soon afterwards.
No-one has been arrested. The Met said the suspect was a black man, about 6ft tall and wearing dark clothing.
Officers have been examining CCTV footage and are appealing for witnesses.
Christmas dinners have been served to Londoners who are reliant on the city’s homelessness services.
Hairdressers and opticians were also made available at City Hall before guests were given a three-course meal.
Last year, 8,855 people were seen rough sleeping in London, an 18% increase since last year, and more than double the number in 2010.
“Events like this help bring a sense of community back in to London,” Claire, a former rough sleeper, told the BBC.
Claire, who spent 30 years either living on the streets or in prison, said: “It’s the type of event that does matter. It forms partnerships and builds bonds.
“If it wasn’t for the support of St Mungo’s, I’d either be dead or doing what I was before.”
Guests were chosen from the thousands of Londoners that currently receive assistance from services funded by City Hall and delivered by charities St Mungo’s and Thames Reach.
But Claire said services were still “hit and miss”.
“Where I live I’m still waiting for support with my mental health,” she added.
Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “St Mungo’s and Thames Reach are struggling with finances.
“Since I became mayor we’ve more than doubled the amount of money we’ve spent on rough sleeping and the size of our outreach team.
“But we’re just scratching the surface. We’ve not got the money or the resources to do much more – as it is I’m criticised for going outside my remit and my power.
“It is both heartbreaking and shameful that in one of the richest cities in the world we still have the levels rough sleeping that we do.”
Last year 15,470 people were accepted as being homeless by London councils.
There were 55,000 families living in temporary accommodation, such as bed and breakfasts and hostels.
Hundreds more people are estimated to be sleeping on London’s night buses.
Petra Salva, Director of Rough Sleeper Services at St Mungo’s, said: “It’s wonderful that the Mayor has opened the doors of City Hall for this festive event.
“Christmas can be a time of mixed emotions for clients in our services and our staff work hard to support those who stay with us over the holiday period.”
Black cab rapist John Worboys has been handed two life sentences with a minimum term of six years for attacking four more women.
The 62-year-old, who is now known as John Radford, was jailed in 2009 for assaults on 12 women in London.
The four victims came forward after the public outcry caused by a Parole Board ruling that he was safe to be freed.
Sentencing Worboys, Mrs Justice McGowan said she did not know when “if ever you will cease to be a risk”.
In 2009, Worboys was locked up indefinitely for the public protection with a minimum of eight years after being found guilty of 19 sex offences against 12 women between 2006 and 2008.
Prosecutor Duncan Penny QC told the Old Bailey that psychiatrist Philip Joseph found Worboys had been “fantasising” about attacking women since 1986.
A probation report in August this year found “he is potentially just as dangerous now as the point of the first sentence”.
After the four women came forward, Worboys, of Enfield, admitted two charges of administering a drug with intent to commit rape or indecent assault.
He also pleaded guilty to two further charges of administering a substance with intent to commit a sexual offence.
Mr Penny said the first victim was targeted in 2000 or early 2001 after a night out at a wine bar in Dover Street in Soho.
The second victim, a university student living in north London, was picked up after a night out with friends at a club on New Oxford Street in 2003.
Worboys’ third victim was picked up after a night out on King’s Road in 2007 where he told her he had won £40,000 at a casino and offered her champagne.
The court heard Worboys told the fourth victim he had won the lottery and offered her and her friend miniature bottles of champagne.
Mr Penny said: “She woke up in bed the following morning. The bedclothes had not moved and her hands were crossed over her chest, which was unusual.
“She was sufficiently unnerved to check herself. There were no visible signs she had been touched.”
Mr Penny told the court: “The consistent themes throughout, together with the content of what took place, seems to be the profound effect not knowing what happened has had in each of these women throughout their lives, as a result of having been unfortunate enough to get into the defendant’s black cab.”
Police believe Worboys may have carried out more than 100 rapes and sexual assaults on women in London.
Becki Houlston, who has waived her right to anonymity, said Worboys drugged her in Bournemouth.
“He was pretty pre-meditated from the get-go, and I was a woman on my own,” she told the BBC.
“He is highly manipulative and relentless. It becomes easier to just accept a drink to shut him up.”
In Ms Houlston’s case, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said there was not enough evidence to prosecute.
In January 2018, the Parole Board said Worboys would be freed after serving 10 years, but victims challenged the decision.
Among reasons given for refusing the Worboys parole were his “sense of sexual entitlement” and a need to control women.
Reacting to the sentencing, the CPS’s Tina Dempster said: “John Worboys is a dangerous predator who still poses a clear threat to women.”
A GP who cited Angelina Jolie and Jade Goody to instil fear in his patients about their health has been found guilty of sexually assaulting 23 women.
Manish Shah preyed on cancer concerns to carry out invasive intimate examinations for his own sexual gratification, the Old Bailey heard.
He convinced his victims to have unnecessary checks between May 2009 and June 2013.
He was convicted of 25 counts of sexual assault and assault by penetration.
Jurors acquitted 50-year-old Shah, of Romford, of five other charges.
They were told afterwards he had already been found guilty of similar allegations relating to 17 other women, bringing the total number of victims to 23.
He will be sentenced for all the offences on 7 February. The BBC’s health editor Hugh Pym said it was one of the biggest cases of its kind involving one doctor.
The trial heard Shah mentioned a news story to one patient about Hollywood star Jolie having a preventative mastectomy, before asking if she would like him to examine her breasts.
In another instance involving a different complainant, he mentioned TV personality Goody – who died of cervical cancer – and advised an examination was in her best interests, it was claimed.
Prosecutor Kate Bex QC told the trial: “He took advantage of his position to persuade women to have invasive vaginal examinations, breast examinations and rectal examinations when there was absolutely no medical need for them to be conducted.”
One of Shah’s patients told the BBC how she became one of the GP’s victims.
“He would say you need to have these sexual health tests, to make sure you’re safe – you never know if somebody goes with somebody else even though you might have a safe partner,” she said.
“He was just encouraging the tests along when I didn’t think anything of it, I thought if a doctor suggests it you pretty much go along with it.
“He just duped so many people. He used our weaknesses and fears and took complete advantage. But not one time did I actually think he was doing anything untoward.”
The NHS in London said it “extended sympathies” to the victims and added: “As soon as the allegations came to light, swift action was taken and we have supported the police throughout their investigation.”
A 12-year-old boy killed in a hit-and-run outside a school has been named locally as Harley Watson.
He was struck near Debden Park High School in Loughton, Essex, at about 15:20 GMT on Monday.
A 51-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of his murder, as well as the attempted murder of four other teenagers and a 23-year-old woman who were hurt in the crash.
One of the victims was described by his mother as “battered and bruised”.
Essex Police said the 51-year-old man was arrested in a pub car park in Fiddlers Hamlet at 23:00 on Monday.
Ch Supt Tracey Harman said there “may be connections” between the crash near Debden Park High School and an earlier incident of a car mounting a pavement near Roding Valley High School in Loughton, 10 minutes before the fatal collision.
The force has referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct based on “previous contact” it had had with the arrested man.
It is understood all the injured children – two 15-year-old boys, a 13-year-old boy, and a girl, 16 – are pupils at the school.
Debden Park’s head teacher Helen Gascoyne, said: “Our thoughts are with the family and all those affected. The school will be open [on Tuesday] with a number of counsellors on hand to support our community.”
Christian Cavanagh, executive head teacher, described Harley’s death as “a young life so tragically lost”.
He said: “This young man had made his mark on the school and was liked and loved by staff and students. We will consult with the family and our school community to decide how best to commemorate his life.”
‘I’ve been hit by a car’
Donna Mills, the mother of Alfie Barnes who was one of the 15-year-olds struck by the car, said he was “still in shock… battered and bruised”.
“He remembers the car coming towards him, he remembers getting hit, but it is a bit of a blur. He hit his head and I think he blacked out for a bit,” she said.
“Alfie rang me and said ‘mum I have been hit by a car’, so I shot down there as fast as I could. It was horrendous.
“It was… horrible to see, kids laying on the floor, just terrible.”
Essex Police said officers are looking for a silver Ford Ka “likely to have damage to [its] front”.
Earlier, the force took the step of naming Terry Glover, 51, as someone they wanted to speak to in connection with the crash.
A gallery which has been shut since a break-in will reopen without the two paintings which were targeted.
An intruder forced their way into an exhibition at Dulwich Picture Gallery in south London on 13 November and removed two valuable Rembrandt artworks.
Police intervened before the intruder was able to take them away but the building has been shut since then.
The gallery said the two Rembrandt’s had been returned to their lenders.
However, all other artworks which make up Rembrandt’s Light exhibition will still be on display when it reopens on Thursday, a spokeswoman said.
The building had been shut while a “full investigation” into the break-in was taking place but it was now “ready to reopen”, she added.
Police described the intrusion as an “audacious attempted burglary” which had been “clearly planned in advance”.
In spite of the paintings being recovered, the intruder was able to get away by spraying an officer in the face with an unknown substance from a canister as they were being chased.
The Met said no arrests had been made over the break-in.
Saracens have been fined an undisclosed amount for failing to attend the launch of the 2019-20 European Champions Cup.
Director of rugby Mark McCall and captain Brad Barritt did not appear in Cardiff on 6 November.
The event came the day after Sarries were fined £5.36m and docked 35 points by Premiership Rugby for breaching the competition’s salary cap regulations.
The club have since hired a major communications company to help manage the public fallout of the scandal.
Saracens won their third European title in May after beating Leinster in the final, and McCall and Barritt were both required to speak to the media at an event at the Principality Stadium earlier this month to launch the new campaign.
But, after the domestic sanctions against the north London club were announced, neither man travelled to Wales.
“Having previously indicated they would be represented at the event, Saracens’ failure to attend constituted a breach of the 2019-20 Champions Cup media rules,” a statement from European Professional Club Rugby said.
“EPCR appreciates the subsequent efforts made by Saracens to grant rights-holding broadcasters special interview access to members of their squad in the week before the start of the tournament.”
Saracens confirmed on Monday they will not be contesting the points deduction and fine handed to them by Premiership Rugby.
The punishment followed an inquiry into business partnerships between owner Nigel Wray and some of their players.
Wray said the club “made mistakes” and accepted the penalties “with humility”.
Saracens were beaten 30-10 by French side Racing 92 on Sunday in their opening pool match in this season’s European Champions Cup.
Leeds United goalkeeper Kiko Casilla been granted extra time to respond to allegations that he racially abused Charlton Athletic’s Jonathan Leko.
The Spaniard, 33, allegedly used words that “made reference to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin”.
He had been due to respond by Tuesday, 12 November, but now has until Wednesday, 27 November.
Leeds issued a statement when Casilla was charged on 4 November saying the former Real Madrid goalkeeper “strenuously denies the allegation”.
Under rules introduced for the 2019-20 season, the minimum suspension for a player found guilty of an aggravated breach of the FA’s discrimination rules will be six matches, which can be increased depending on any additional aggravating factors.
A union has announced 27 days of rail strikes during December and on New Year’s Day as part of a long-running dispute over train guards.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union said its guards and drivers working for South Western Railway (SWR) had been left with “no choice” but to take industrial action.
The union said the dispute would continue for as long as SWR “refuse to give assurances” on the role of guards.
SWR has been approached for comment.
The union has told its members not to book on for duty:
- From 00:01 GMT on Monday 2 December until 23:59 on Wednesday 11 December
- From 00:01 on Friday 13 December until 23:59 on Tuesday 24 December
- From 00:01 on Friday 27 December 2019 until 23:59 on the 1 January
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “At the last meeting we held with SWR, principles in agreements were made in good faith with the company’s negotiating team and we now feel hugely let down again.
“As long as the company continues to refuse to give assurances on the future operational role of the guard, we will remain in dispute.
“I want to congratulate our members on their continued resolve in their fight for safety and the role of the guard on SWR.
“It is wholly down to the management side that the core issue of the safety critical competencies and the role of the guard has not been agreed.”